+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yamaha Oil Level on Dip Stick???

Thanks

Default Yamaha Oil Level on Dip Stick???

When I picked up my 60HP yamaha the oil in the engine was up to the top mark on the dip stick. It stayed that way for 21 hours of running time. I had the 20 hour check-up today and when I got home I checked the oil. They only filled the engine to half way between the two marks on the dip stick. I called the mechanic and he said that yamaha only wanted the oil to be half to two thirds on the marks, and NOT at the top mark. My first question was why was it that way when I got it? No real answer. The owners manual says to fill the oil so that is between the marks with no reference to where. So technically the current level would be acceptable according to the manual, but in my thinking it would be better to have the most oil allowed and have it up to the top mark. However, has anyone ever heard of this before? Where on the dip stick is your oil level?

Thank you;

Ric
    2009 DLX 1765 60 HP Yam 4 Str

Thanks

To much oil can be bad for an engine and so can to little. I try to keep mine in my truck, cars, and boats all in between the to marks. With the dip stick you are simply measuring (I think) the amount of oil in the oil bath so there is a little room to go either way and that is why its a range and not an exact amount.
    08, 198 Elite, Wesco trailer, 115 Etec

Thanks

Ric....my 4-stroke recommends the same as yours. I prefer to have it on the high side of half-way because when it is running some of it is in the oil filter, dropping the oil level in the sump a little...not much since the filter is horizontal. With the engine sitting dead level, if I put in the recommended 2.11 quarts, the level will actually be above the full mark so I stop at 2.0 which leaves it about 2/3 of the way up between the marks.
    '08 J-16CC
    '10 F40 Yamaha
    Venture Trailer
    Lowrance HDS5-DSI
    Riptide RT 55/SP/iPilot
    Survivor-2012 "Parade of Skiffs"
    Victim-2013 "Parade of Skiffs"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ric View Post
    When I picked up my 60HP yamaha the oil in the engine was up to the top mark on the dip stick. It stayed that way for 21 hours of running time. I had the 20 hour check-up today and when I got home I checked the oil. They only filled the engine to half way between the two marks on the dip stick. I called the mechanic and he said that yamaha only wanted the oil to be half to two thirds on the marks, and NOT at the top mark. My first question was why was it that way when I got it? No real answer. The owners manual says to fill the oil so that is between the marks with no reference to where. So technically the current level would be acceptable according to the manual, but in my thinking it would be better to have the most oil allowed and have it up to the top mark. However, has anyone ever heard of this before? Where on the dip stick is your oil level?

Thank you;

Ric
    I bought mine locally and the Mechanic that did the walk thru with me told me to keep it in the middle. He is their "go to" Mechanic BTW, from my observations.
    2008 1780 DLX 75 HP Yamaha 4 Stroke

Thanks

I changed oil and filter back in the spring, and filled it to spec which hit the stick a little above the half mark. They tell me that is where it should be.

sorry, can't give her up yet

Marty
    2003 J16 dual console, Yamaha 25 4stroke

+ Reply to Thread