+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Trailer bunk pads (for easy on/off)

There's a few threads on the site but if I remember correctly here are a few things. If you question these please search for the threads.

CS does not recommend roller bunks on their hulls due to the lateral log construction method. The weight needs to be distributed evenly from front to back along the bunk. This theory goes for the plastic pucks placed at the top, middle, and bottom of each bunk. The rollers can cause the bottom of the hull to deform if a roller is in the middle of a log (at least on the older hulls)

Several folks have installed the solid surface HDPE strips/pucks or some other form of plastic slider bunks and experienced gelcoat damage due to sediment trapped between the hull and the bunks. This sediment is ground into the gelcoat while trailering resulting in damage. The sliders that have grooves in the surfaces allows for the sediment to drain away from the gelcoat similar to carpeting in good condition.

If using a spray do not unhook until the boat is over the water, especially steep ramps. Many a user of spray has dropped their boat down the ramp. This goes for "helpful friends/family" that jump out and unhook it while you back up. Tell them not to.

In the OP's scenario, I'd give the spay a shot.
    09 218 DLV 115 Yamaha
    Minn kota ST 80lb 60" Ipilot

Tod0987 shut down the posting quicker then someone running through a baitball turning off the bite

Former 2002 Regulator 21 Classic
    Former 2008 238 DLV, 140 Suzuki

Current 2001 CS Classic Series 16' w/ 30 Hp Evinrude
    Current 2002 Grady White escape 21 w/200 HPDI Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Tod0987 shut down the posting quicker then someone running through a baitball turning off the bite
    haha at least I didn't end up with 300yds of older braid around my prop like they do..

Harry didn't you use something else on your J that rolled out and made of a softer material?
    09 218 DLV 115 Yamaha
    Minn kota ST 80lb 60" Ipilot

Quote Originally Posted by tod0987 View Post
    haha at least I didn't end up with 300yds of older braid around my prop like they do..

Harry didn't you use something else on your J that rolled out and made of a softer material?
    That was on my waverunner trailer but I don’t think it would work over larger bunks with carpet.
    This is what I used to the waverunner trailer and is a great product as well !
    https://www.astroplastics.com/produc...SAAEgL7b_D_BwE

The ones I mentioned earlier in this thread worked like a charm and mount on the top side of the bunk over the carpet

Former 2002 Regulator 21 Classic
    Former 2008 238 DLV, 140 Suzuki

Current 2001 CS Classic Series 16' w/ 30 Hp Evinrude
    Current 2002 Grady White escape 21 w/200 HPDI Yamaha

Finally had a chance to test out the Surfix bunk slicks at an extremely shallow ramp this weekend. I always had difficulty at this ramp (Pamunkey River at White's Landing) with my old trailer. Replaced that rust bucket last fall with a new aluminum trailer that sits a bit higher.

Bunks on the new trailer didn't even get wet. I'd have to get all four truck tires well into the water for the back edge of the bunks to be submerged. Still, I was able to push the boat right off, and winch it back on at the end of our trip without any real trouble.

I'm a bit concerned about the gel coat issue Tod0987 mentioned. Maybe I can find a way to keep it rinsed out. If anyone has some advice about that, I'd love to hear it.

Now, forgetting to raise the motor and dragging the skeg several feet up the concrete while winching it was probably my fault. I'd like to blame the new slicks, but I'm having trouble coming up with a convincing argument.
    2002 J16 w/ 1995 Suzuki DT25

Default Caliber marine slides / slicks

Bought on Amazon... only used once so far, but glad I had them on because it was low tide at my shallow ramp and there was no way that boat was coming off the bunks if it had just been carpet... I was able to push the boat off because of the slicks...
    IMG_20190106_100908.jpg
    JVX18 & 70hp zuke. There are many others like it, but this one is mine :secret:

I'd tried the silicone spray on my carpeted bunks and didn't think it helped much. Looking for grooved bunk slicks.

Tom
    Last edited by Tommy-boy; 06-30-2019 at 05:16 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information