+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Loading the skiff solo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,493 Times in 839 Posts

Default Loading the skiff solo

I've got a good system for loading & unloading with a partner and I can launch the skiff solo without issue but I have yet to figure out a good technique. What's everyone else do when its just them?

Thanks in advance for any tips or hints!

Saturday I just drove on the trailer stepped on the fender and off to the dock and then walked around but I can see where that could end ugly in a hurry.
    09 198 DLV; 100 Suzuki; Wesco Alum. trailer

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mr.jhlove For This Useful Post:

southluzianna (04-23-2012)

Thanks

Default Loading solo

We have a new 198 dlv too, and have not yet done a solo launch or trailer.

The new boat is a bit trickier to manage than the old J16, which hubby did solo a couple of times.

It's a team effort which we have down pretty well: I do all the trailer backing and parking, and he does all the driving of the boat onto and off the trailer. If there's a current, though, or a big wake, trailering the 198 is much more difficult than with the J16.

I see people do solos all the time, and some of them do their solo launch faster than we do a two-person!

It's not so much the speed I'm after as it is quickly getting out of the way of others when the launch is crowded.

And not demolishing the trailer and the hull of the boat!
    2011 CS 198 DLV 115 Yamaha
    1997 CS J16 25 Tohatsu

4. The Following User Says Thank You to southluzianna For This Useful Post:

mr.jhlove (04-23-2012)

Thanks

My 218 is a PITA compared to my old boat, but it's not that bad as long as it's a ramp you've been to before and know how deep to back the boat in. I always just back up next to the dock/side of the ramp so I can back to where I want it and jump in the boat from the side, start it up so it can begin warming up, crawl up to the front and lean over and unhitch the winch and back it off until the stupid front lip catches on the winch, then I jump off and stand on the trailer and lift the front of the boat off of it and jump back in the boat quickly while it's floating away LOL. Same thing in reverse, of course I don't back the trailer as far in so when I motor up to the winch the boat tends to stick in place, if it doesn't stick the damn front lip will catch it anyway so I'll hop off the bow onto the trailer and crack it up with the winch. Easy breasy. I also have a pair of rubber boots and if I'm feeling lazy I'll just put the boots on and walk into the water at the ramp to save all the crawling around on the bow.
    Last edited by ScreamingPotato; 04-23-2012 at 09:27 AM.
    2012 218 DLV w/Suzuki 140
    McClain Aluminum Trailer

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ScreamingPotato For This Useful Post:

mr.jhlove (04-23-2012)

Thanks

There have been some pretty good ideas and suggestions on here http://www.carolinaskiffowner.com/sh...736#post141736

What works for me by myself:
    I pull up in front of ramp, remove stern straps and put in plug. I leave bow/winch strap ATTACHED. I back slowly into water until boat is barely floating then pull back up just a pinch. I set the parking brake, put it in park. I unhook bow strap, climb over the bow into the boat, fire the motore, put my dock lines out and back it off the trailer. I swing around to the dock tie it off and go park the truck.

I have found that if I back until it floats then pull back up that little bit that it provides just enough friction to keep boat from floating away but not enough I can't back it off. As I'm backing boat off of trailer I pay attention to how much of the bunks are sticking out of the water and just make sure to back it back in to that point when pulling it out which varies based on the grade of the ramp I'm using.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
    2011 JVX 18cc
    2011 Suzuki D60 4-Stroke
    Venture Aluminum Trailer

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wes_V For This Useful Post:

mikeinva (04-23-2012), mr.jhlove (04-23-2012)

Thanks

I am sure everyone has their own way of doing things.

I back my trailer to the top of the ramp, hop out and put my plug in and take off all my straps except my safety chain. I then back my trailer into the water next to the dock and wait until she floats good. I set my brake and turn my truck off and hop on the dock and walk to my boat and step on. I start my boat and put it in foward gear to push it onto my bow stop and then unhook my chain. From here I can back it straight off the trailer without my bow hanging up or me getting wet.

I can usually unload and load my boat by myself faster than I can when my wife helps me.
    2010 1980 DLX F115 Yamaha

10. The Following User Says Thank You to exceed For This Useful Post:

mr.jhlove (04-23-2012)

Thanks

Thumbs up

I load my skiff solo most the time. 1st thing I added to my trailer prior to my initial test cruise was walking boards on the trailer. Some salt treated boards and U-bolts to walk on will made hooking the winch strap to boat eye pretty simple, boat trailer of old come with walking platforms.
    Kenny Garrett (megsar)
    Suffolk, Va
    2008 DLV 198
    90 HP yamaha 4 stroke
    Road King Trailer

12. The Following User Says Thank You to megsar For This Useful Post:

mr.jhlove (04-23-2012)

Thanks

I haven't found a one size fits all solution since every ramp situation is different.

However, I keep a pair of neoprene knee boots in the boat so I can walk to or from the trailer tounge and onto/off of the bow of the boat without getting wet when loading/unloading.

My spare tire is mounted on the trailer tounge and makes a nice "stair step".
    198 DLV
    115 H.P. ETEC

14. The Following User Says Thank You to akdocauer For This Useful Post:

mr.jhlove (04-23-2012)

Thanks

thanks guys for all the replys so far. i probly shoulve been a lil more clear in my original post; what Im trying to figure out exactly is how do you get out of the boat after loading? lol

Launching has been very easy i just back to the water, unhook attach lead rope to tie down in truck bed, back up again n stop abruptly and the skiff comes off nicely but when i drive it on to load i cant figure out a safe way to get my butt on the dock lol.

I like the idea of the walkway and havent thought about the spare tire which may be good too. Perhaps thatll be the impetus to finally mount it, its still in my truck bed 3 years later...

Thanks again!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr.jhlove View Post
    thanks guys for all the replys so far. i probly shoulve been a lil more clear in my original post; what Im trying to figure out exactly is how do you get out of the boat after loading? lol

Launching has been very easy i just back to the water, unhook attach lead rope to tie down in truck bed, back up again n stop abruptly and the skiff comes off nicely but when i drive it on to load i cant figure out a safe way to get my butt on the dock lol.

I like the idea of the walkway and havent thought about the spare tire which may be good too. Perhaps thatll be the impetus to finally mount it, its still in my truck bed 3 years later...

Thanks again!!!
    Just backup the trailer right next to the edge of the ramp, load the boat up and then hop off the side.
    2012 218 DLV w/Suzuki 140
    McClain Aluminum Trailer

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ScreamingPotato View Post
    Just backup the trailer right next to the edge of the ramp, load the boat up and then hop off the side.
    cool. thats what I did but it just didnt feel the safest. of course hoppin the bow onto some type of "tongue landing pad" isnt any safer probly.

so no one floats it back on the trailer i guess? i had given this a thought but really hate the idea of winching for ever.

+ Reply to Thread