+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: how to unhitch trailer from truck?

Thanks

Default how to unhitch trailer from truck?

This may be a dumb question but no one has ever told me how to do this otherwise...how do you all unhook/unhitch your boat trailer from your truck?

For the past two years as a skiff owner I have always just used my legs and lifted but dang it is heavy and I am not getting any younger...one day I am sure I will pull my back.

Now I would think you could use your trailer jack to jack up the trailer off the ball hitch but when its hooked to my truck I can't get the trailer jack all the way down so its useless for this purpose. Maybe its because my yard is not level and dirt/gravel.

I've used my car jack when my back is acting up but I hate lugging that thing out of the shed.

Any ideas? Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 767 Posts

Um stack a couple thick boards under your jack and jack it off. Do not hurt your back man or do you mean its a fold down jack and it wont fold down because it hits the ground?
    2010 218DLV w/150 Yamaha
    Custom ttop, Riptide SP TM
    Parade Of Skiffs Survivor 2012
    Parade Of Skiffs Survivor 2013

MAD 2010-2014

Thanks

Sounds like you need to raise the height of the ball on your truck, easy to do if you have a receiver hitch. Or you could puts some boards under rear truck tires kinda like Island man suggested, just under tires.
    Be careful with your back.
    2011 JVX 18
    70 HP. Suzuki

Thanks

Yeah, its a fold down jack and it won't fold down because it hits the ground. The drop down is perfect in terms of alignment for my trailer/truck...I guess I could get one w/o a drop but then it would be out of alignment with the trailer/truck.

I take it everyone's jack folds down all the way w/o hitting the ground and that is how they do it? That would make sense to me.

I guess I could try the boards method but I'd have to drag those out front too...tight quarters to get the boat in the back, needs to be unhitched before putting it in the back. thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,489 Times in 836 Posts

Can you take a pic from the side? I'm just trying to understand why the jack qont fold down and your trailer is level... without a pic all i can imagine is that the trailer wheels are very small. As an idea can the jack be adjusted where it mounts? As in are there different mounting holes? As for powerlifting a skiff tongue; good luck. All i can say is your a bigger man than I or you have a j12 lol
    09 198 DLV; 100 Suzuki; Wesco Alum. trailer

Thanks

This is the best jack i had.
    http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jack...n/DL22320.html

Fully adjustable to almost 30" high.
    GIORGOS
    SKIFFLESS BUT NOT BOATLESS

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NOTHING ELSE MATTERS For This Useful Post:

CFISHN (07-28-2011), Larry Herrmann (07-28-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,382 Times in 1,874 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snosurfa7 View Post
    Yeah, its a fold down jack and it won't fold down because it hits the ground. The drop down is perfect in terms of alignment for my trailer/truck...I guess I could get one w/o a drop but then it would be out of alignment with the trailer/truck.

I take it everyone's jack folds down all the way w/o hitting the ground and that is how they do it? That would make sense to me.

I guess I could try the boards method but I'd have to drag those out front too...tight quarters to get the boat in the back, needs to be unhitched before putting it in the back. thanks
    Mine dose the same thing as yours , I use a small floor jack
    WV 08 DLV198 HONDA 115
    OBX 99 C-HAWK 13 YAMAHA 150

Thanks

I put the same jack that NOTHING ELSE MATTERS showed. Best jack for any bumper pull trailer.

Thanks

I'll try to shoot a pic next time I have it out - it is a 16 dlx, I don't think I could dead lift much heavier. The trailer wheels are on the smaller size - that with the variable dirt/gravel drive might be a contributing factor. I have fiddling around with mounting options of the jack but with no success.

I have used a small floor jack in the past and that does work - I just hate lugging that out front every time I bring the skiff home.

thanks

Thanks

I have the square drop leg jack as well. Mine is a Fulton. They don't fold back, but are permanently in place. Works great for me. Untill recently I too had considerable grade where the boat was parked and never had a problem with this jack. I do put a brick under the foot for no other reason that to give it a bit more tilt for the rain to run out the bilge and scuppers.

I cannot imagine having to dead lift that tongue off the ball. OR have to move it from that spot to "put it in the back".
    2010 238 DLV, Suzuki DF150TX
    Lake Lanier GA

+ Reply to Thread