+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: where to mount humminbird di transducer on 218 dlv

Thanks

Default where to mount humminbird di transducer on 218 dlv

Used to have Lowrance now switching, on the old semiv had a lowrance on starboard side 0.5-1 inch below stern. Old transducer about half way between main keel and starboard keel. Would lose bottom visual on screen but keep correct depth reading at high speed. Now mounting humminbird 596hd di.
    Last edited by spots-n-dots; 06-04-2011 at 11:44 PM.
    1999 SemiV198 Johnson 90HP, 2011 DLV218 Yamaha F115

Thanks

If it helps, I have an image of a humminbird 'ducer mounted to my 2008 DLV 218 on post #2 of this thread. This general location (give or take an inch in either direction) is about the best general area for mounting a transducer on a DLV model skiff. Unless I'm mistaken, (I don't own a Humm DI sounder) I don't believe the DI type 'ducer requires any special consideration other than what should be of concern with a standard 2d transducer.

http://www.carolinaskiffowner.com/sh...light=%27ducer
    '08 218DLV
    '07 Suz DF140
    Hum 787c2i GPS/FF
    Lowr HDS w/StrScan

Member: CCC of CSO

Thanks
    Thanked 3,560 Times in 1,973 Posts

I placed my new DI Transducer in the same spot as the old , about were Dave has his
    Last edited by CFISHN; 06-10-2011 at 01:19 PM.
    WV 08 DLV198 HONDA 115
    OBX 99 C-HAWK 13 YAMAHA 150

Thanks

Smile

Thank you all, sounds like my location will be similar, going to mount it tonite. I was not sure if the di needed special location.
    1999 SemiV198 Johnson 90HP, 2011 DLV218 Yamaha F115

Thanks

Default Hummingbird Transducer

I'm getting ready to mount the transducer and route the cable. Any suggestions on running the cable to my center console on my 2011 DLV218?
    I'm a bit concerned about drilling a 5/8" hole above the water line for the connector.
    Thanks,
    Rick

Thanks

I have a Garmin 541 and installed a transducer that is designed to operate thru the bottom of the boat. I leave my boat in the water (salt) and didn't want to deal with the marine growth, or someone pulling on it when we are swimming, if I mounted to the stern. It seems to be working fine and I have no issues (ocasionally it will flash if in choppy water while under way). It came with good instructions that I followed. There was plenty of room in the little sump next to the bilge pump. Simple and easy. Only down side is this transducer does not have the temperature sensor, but that is what your toes are for. I attached a link to Amazon for your viewing pleasure. There are only two reviews but I have found both to valid.
    http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Plastic...8120345&sr=1-3

If you go to the Garmin site, you can see other options. However, with more options, there is more cost.
    2012 218 DLV - 140 Suzuki
    Tybee Island, Ga.

Thanks

Default Hummingbird Transducer mounting

Dear apsolom,
    I was thinking the same thing a few minutes ago, there is plenty of room near the keel and my instructions for the Hummingbird 561, state just that as an alternative. This beats drilling holes and leaving the transducer constantly exposed, for sure.
    According to my instructions, I need a two-part apoxy to fix the transducer to the hull and sand the surface for a smooth fit, before mounting.
    My next concern would be regarding leveling, as the hull 'V's upward from the keel. I was thinking just starboard of the keel toward the battery side?
    Thanks,
    Rick

Thanks

The transducer I used suggested a good silicone and that is what I used. I did not do any special prep, other than verify that the sump was clean and dry. This transducer (kit) had a base that you fasten (silicone) to the hull. It has an angle cut to the base, such that you can twist to factor out the vee in the hull. My 218 seemed to only have about 10 degree back there, and honestly even if it is a little off, probably will not affect the operation anyway. I consider the depth to be usefully information, not critical for me. After the base is installed, you add a little glycol liquid, and then insert the transducer.

( Note: I used to have a 198 V series. I cleaned the sump, put a little pile of silicone down, pressed the transducer into the silicone. Since the bilge pump always leaves a little water, the transducer was always in a puddle of water and seemed to work just fine.)
    2012 218 DLV - 140 Suzuki
    Tybee Island, Ga.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to apsolomon For This Useful Post:

Rcox (05-27-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,561 Times in 874 Posts

based on my reading you cant mount a 455khz or especially 800khz ducer shoot thru hull style.

also, what the 5/8" mounting hole for? if concerned about it just run the plug up and over the transom and tack the line in a few places with silicone.

BTW, my lowrance imaging ducer is mounted exactly where my humminbird 83/200khz ducer was and it picks up 99.5% of the time very well. i am actually amazed at how well it keeps bottom in chop and at speed.
    09 198 DLV; 100 Suzuki; Wesco Alum. trailer

Thanks

Default Humminbird Transducer mounting

The installation instructions I have with the FF and Transducer show how to mount the unit inside the hull as an option for transom mounting. The 5/8" hole, was as you suggested, for the connector to route to the FF. Rather than drill a 'through hole' in the transom and attach the cable via cable clamps along the transom and drill holes for the mounting tilt bracket provided with the unit, I wanted to know how you guys did this in your configurations.
    Inside the hull is more appealing to me, avoiding the turbulence, chafing the cable or damaging the transducer or if I get the mounting wrong. I think my bilge is a good place for this thing. just wanted to know about the performance inside vs. outside the hull.
    Planning on dropping the unit over the side and look at my readings and comparing at various places inside the bilge for best results.
    My fishing is primarily off Bogue, Core and Outer Banks of N.C., most of which is trolling for Spanish(I can see the birds and the bait ball) and drifting across a horde of artificial reefs, for Drum, Black Bass, Mahi, Larger Flounder, etc., so, high speed sonar isn't really a factor.
    Man, I appreciate all of you guys comments and will try to get in the website more in detail as time permits.
    Thanks,
    Rick

+ Reply to Thread