+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Minn Kota Talon vs. Power Pole?

Thanks

Default Minn Kota Talon vs. Power Pole?

Guys...I'm wanting a shallow water anchorage for a new 23' Ultra Elite. While I like the inexpensive, homemade solutions I've seen here, I'm not ready to drill holes in a new boat!

Has anyone used either the MinnKota Talon or Power Pole systems? If so, is there a recommendation? Both anchorages are close enough in price point.

Thanks

Thanks

I've got the 8' Talon on my DLX - got in on my new boat back in December so I've been using it since. Unfotunately I have no experience with the powerpole so I can't compare.

It is very rapid to deploy and I have never had it come loose - the wave action feature works great. In rougher water/current, you can use the rough water mode to make it deploy even harder, but I've never had to use it.

Really like having the two remotes. I mounted one on my console and always wear the other around my neck. Great for solo fishing - catch a fish and go ahead and rapidly deploy the anchor. Also great for docking - especially solo and when you're in a hurry like getting fuel.

The down-side to this anchor is it gets stuck in thick mud - the black stuff that steals your shoes here on the NC coast. It deploys very deep into that stuff and even when rocking back and forth with trolling motor/big motor, I have had to manually pull the anchor up using a socket wrench. This happens fairly commonly for me and is my biggest complaint - the motor needs a bit more juice IMO. Also, you need to do a really good job of rinsing it via the rinse port when you're done using it. If not, mud/salt/sand gets in there and can seize it up to the point that it won't deploy until multiple attempts or a flushing (again, another sign of not enough motor).

Finally, I'd get one of the factory mounting brackets if possible. My installer just stacked up starboard to get the right thickness away from the transom and it looks like crap.

talon2.jpgtalon1.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions.
    Last edited by triggerfin; 03-21-2011 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Added pics
    2011 178 DLX Yamaha F90

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to triggerfin For This Useful Post:

CFISHN (03-21-2011), joe28540 (03-21-2011), Pogo Joe (03-21-2011), redneckredfishr (03-21-2011)

Thanks

Thanks Triggerfin...after further investigation, I'm leaning Minn Kota Talon. About the only disadvantages w/ the Talon that I can tell is its' lack of a track record & shorter warranty compared to Power Pole.

I like the fact that the remote & wave pack features are standard as opposed to options.

Other than the mount, anything else you would do different?

Thanks

Default Manual systems

Would it make sense to add a manual system (Stick-It) to the bow along w/ the MK Talon off the transom? Seems like it would keep the boat pointed the way you want while also keeping costs down. Or would the MK Riptide trolling motor perform a similar anchoring function?
    Last edited by Pogo Joe; 03-21-2011 at 02:21 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,558 Times in 1,972 Posts

Your starting to see more and more BASS boats with duel Poles mounted on the back !
    WV 08 DLV198 HONDA 115
    OBX 99 C-HAWK 13 YAMAHA 150

Thanks

I can't think of anything else I'd do different. I'd buy the thing again, if that helps. Do wire it in to your starter (this is an option) so it will alarm for you if you crank up the big motor and think about taking off (that would suck, and I'm just the kind of guy that would do such a thing). Also, it does put a little funkiness in your wake (you need to install it high enough above the bottom that it minimizes interference) but I was able to install my smarttab right below it and still have just enough clearance for the pole housing/pole to deploy.

I will plan to use my pushpole (adjustable superstick) if I want to hold position, but you'll be surprised how often the thing will pin your boat in place so hard that you don't move at all (you may have a different experience given the larger boat). Beyond the cost of having 2 talons, that's a lot of additional weight and an install hassle (where to put it?).

I've got the i-pilot riptide too and that anchor setting works very differently. Basically just cruises you around in the same area. You will typically use those two toys for different purposes - e.g. you're not going to use the riptide anchor to anchor up at the fueling station and the riptide is nice for deeper water where you can't use the talon.

FYI Dudley's Marina in Swansboro had a talon sitting there in the shop for $1200 this past weekend. Might be worth a call/drive up if they still have it. If you make it this far up, feel free to drop by to have a look at mine.
    2011 178 DLX Yamaha F90

8. The Following User Says Thank You to triggerfin For This Useful Post:

joe28540 (03-21-2011)

+ Reply to Thread