+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HDS-5 Need jus a little help

Thanks

Default HDS-5 Need jus a little help

I have a problem with marking period. Seems like it picking up interference with boat wash.Transducer is mounted correctly my DLV carolina skiff by Chatlee

Has anyone got a suggestion on a setting(s) I can leave it on. Running on a plain I'll lose dept. I'm such a dummy when it comes to this. Any help at all will be appreciated

Thanks

Transducer mounting can be tedious, sometimes frustrating, and most often perform below the expectations of many boat owners. That said, the standard transducer provided with the Lowrance HDS units (and most other Lowrance sounders, BTW) seem to perform better "at speed" than most, but none I know of can overcome turbulent water, by any cause.

That said, you should expect your HDS ducer to read bottom while on plane, at least under ideal conditions. Sounds like you likely will have to do some "tweeking" to get your 'ducer to read more consistently at speed. As good as Chatlee's can be, I doubt they had a chance to test your sounder's performance "at speed". You might start by reading the transducer installation details carefully and adjust the ducer up, down, and tilted properly, (fore-and-aft, and side-to-side) in relation to the surface of the hull. When you are satisfied you have it as properly adjusted as possible, do your dynamic testing on flat water, running in a strait line, as choppy seas and radical turns will not easily allow a smooth flow of water across the length of your hull and over the bottom of your ducer, where it must be pretty clean and turbulent free in order to read bottom at any speed.
    '08 218DLV
    '07 Suz DF140
    Hum 787c2i GPS/FF
    Lowr HDS w/StrScan

Member: CCC of CSO

Thanks

Here is where mine is mounted on my DLV. I hope it helps for reference.
    Transducer2.jpg

It performs well at speed in calm waters to light chop, but like Dave said it is very difficult to get readings in anything other than good conditions at high speed.

As always, Dave's advice is spot on. You should check and adjust the transducer to make sure the angle and height is correct for running. There are many articles on the net about tranducer location too!
    Last edited by Beckcl; 03-04-2011 at 08:16 PM.
    2009 DLV218 Elite,Suzuki 150

Thanks

What about the settings.Have not marked the first fish

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tuckerdog View Post
    What about the settings.Have not marked the first fish
    The HDS is very advanced which means it can be very complicated. Fortunately in the case of the HDS the auto settings are very good. You will need to restore the factory defaults if you have messed around with it much.

I like to run my transducer on 200 with max ping speed, and in the shallow water fishing mode in 100-150 feet of water and less.

I usually run the surface clarity on low, and adjust the sensitivity down just a bit to clear up some of the screen clutter.

Those should be pretty good starting points.

All this being said, if the transducer is not set up correctly, the settings in the HDS wont matter. Also, it is very important to go into the menu and select the transducer you have hooked to your machine. If you dont know which one you have, the lead that goes to the back of the machine will have a foil tag with the model no. on it.

With the transducer positioned properly, and the basic settings, you should get good results and have no problems marking fish.
    Last edited by Beckcl; 03-07-2011 at 09:45 PM.
    2009 DLV218 Elite,Suzuki 150

+ Reply to Thread