+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trim Tabs

Thanks

Default Trim Tabs

Not to but does anyone have any experience with Minn Kota trim tabs?

To tell the truth, I didnt even know they made them. I had decided on Lencos, but stumbled on these the other day.

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/produc...trim_tabs.aspx

I am a little skeptical about the composite tab. I called and talked to MK's head tech, and was told they are composite because they are a hydrofoil shape. It is supposed to give quite a bit more lift than a flat tab. He said they have been making them about two years and have never seen a tab break.

I like the indicator switch too. Rather than an auto retract when the power is killed, it has a one touch auto up/down button. When you are about to take off, press the auto down, and it sets the tab to 20 degrees. Dont want tabs, press the button and they retract. They can also be controlled independently with dual rockers.

They have a 3 year warranty on all parts, which seems standard with them all.

Give me some input.
    2009 DLV218 Elite,Suzuki 150

Thanks
    Thanked 3,016 Times in 1,696 Posts

I gave them a look because of the price ..
    I like the Trolling tabs too way cool...

But in the end we had a set of Lenco tabs on pop's boat for over ten years with no problems .
    That and Lenco being the innovator of Electric actuated tabs I went with them !
    Got mine @ http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=22971F
    I recommend the EDGE THEY NEED JUST 13" TO MOUNT

If your price shopping
    Harry got a nice set of hydraulic tabs for a good deal maybe he can tell you were
    They were this brand
    http://www.insta-trim.com/main.html

Good luck you'll be glad you added them what ever brand you get !

Craig
    Last edited by CFISHN; 04-07-2010 at 10:24 PM.
    WV 08 DLV198 HONDA 115
    OBX 99 C-HAWK 13 YAMAHA 150

Thanks

Thanks for the input.

Its not a price thing, I can buy Lenco 12 x 12 edge mount with the indicator switch about 30 bucks cheaper than the Minn Kota.

They caught my eye because of the increased lift, and the one touch auto up/down button.

What got me thinking about the MK switch is when you said you didnt connect the auto retract on yours.

Like you said, I am sure they will make for a nice ride.

Thanks

The auto is when you turn the motor off they come up ..
    WV 08 DLV198 HONDA 115

Thanks
    Thanked 4,038 Times in 1,788 Posts

"C-Phase"
    2008 238 DLV, 140 Suzuki
    Fishmaster T-top
    Wesco Trailer
    2001 16' J Series w/ 30 Hp Evinrude

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Hey thanks Harry......His prices are good. Much better than Lenco or Bennett. Warranty is not as good as Bennett though. Bennetts are 5 year and these only 1. Is that correct?

A few questions.

Why did you go hydraulic over electric, and are you happy with hydraulic?

Why did you coose these over say Bennett, and do you have any complaints with them?

Do they offer an indicator switch, and if not does it bother you not to have an indicator of tab position?

Chris

Thanks
    Thanked 4,038 Times in 1,788 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beckcl View Post
    Hey thanks Harry......His prices are good. Much better than Lenco or Bennett. Warranty is not as good as Bennett though. Bennetts are 5 year and these only 1. Is that correct?

A few questions.

Why did you go hydraulic over electric, and are you happy with hydraulic?

Why did you coose these over say Bennett, and do you have any complaints with them?

Do they offer an indicator switch, and if not does it bother you not to have an indicator of tab position?

Chris
    No problem Chris !

1) Not sure on the warranty, it's been a while since I shopped for them, but if it says a year I guess thats what it is.....

2)IMO Electric and saltwater DON'T mix. Working on electricity outdoors, by the shore for 23 has taught me lessons about this
    I contacted Insta trim and thy told me they are "the oldest" hyd tabs makers out there, plus made in the USA *flag*. Also they said Bennett's "used to make electric tabs" but have switched over to hyd.
    The oil is environmentally friendly
    The electric pump is IN the boat, not the salt water.
    Second year with them and yup, I'm happy with them and one of the best additions I have done to the boat.

3) Why Intsa trim over Bennett's? Price, no complaints

4)They do offer an indicator rocker switch. I didn't feel the need to spend the extra $$ for it, but thought about it and glad I didn't bite.
    I can plane with the tabs up, that was never an issue or why I bought them, and only use them to level off the ride and help combat strong quartering sea's and stay MUCH drier doing so.
    The boat tell's me what it needs. If it's listing a tad to the port, and couple taps of the starboard bow rocker down and it levels right off....... If the load changes while under way (people moving around) I can adjust accordingly. Again the boat tell's me what it needs by how it sits and handles.

Once off of plane I just raise them fully.

Not to knock the Lenco's I guess many have them, but I wouldn't consider them for the reasons listed .........SALT.

Again this is just my "personal opinion"............
    "C-Phase"
    2008 238 DLV, 140 Suzuki
    Fishmaster T-top
    Wesco Trailer
    2001 16' J Series w/ 30 Hp Evinrude

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    No problem Chris !

1) Not sure on the warranty, it's been a while since I shopped for them, but if it says a year I guess thats what it is.....

2)IMO Electric and saltwater DON'T mix. Working on electricity outdoors, by the shore for 23 has taught me lessons about this
    I contacted Insta trim and thy told me they are "the oldest" hyd tabs makers out there, plus made in the USA *flag*. Also they said Bennett's "used to make electric tabs" but have switched over to hyd.
    The oil is environmentally friendly
    The electric pump is IN the boat, not the salt water.
    Second year with them and yup, I'm happy with them and one of the best additions I have done to the boat.

3) Why Intsa trim over Bennett's? Price, no complaints

4)They do offer an indicator rocker switch. I didn't feel the need to spend the extra $$ for it, but thought about it and glad I didn't bite.
    I can plane with the tabs up, that was never an issue or why I bought them, and only use them to level off the ride and help combat strong quartering sea's and stay MUCH drier doing so.
    The boat tell's me what it needs. If it's listing a tad to the port, and couple taps of the starboard bow rocker down and it levels right off....... If the load changes while under way (people moving around) I can adjust accordingly. Again the boat tell's me what it needs by how it sits and handles.

Once off of plane I just raise them fully.

Not to knock the Lenco's I guess many have them, but I wouldn't consider them for the reasons listed .........SALT.

Again this is just my "personal opinion"............

Thanks, those are all good points, especially about the indicator switch.

The need for the indicator switch has been one of my biggest questions. They are very expensive.

Thanks

I ordered a set of Bennett 12 x 12 with indicator switch today. I also ordered one of thier auto tab controls.

I chose the Bennett because of their 5 year warranty and the auto tab control.

Lenco=3 years, Insta Trim Boat Levelers=1 year, Minn Kota=3 years, and Bennett=5 years.

I know they are all good brands, but from what I have read on the internet, Bennett has great customer service. They were very helpful speaking with them today.

The auto tab control is a neat feature. It allows you to set the attitude of the boat, and store it in memory. From that point forward when auto is activated, the control takes over the tabs and adjusts them to keep your preset attitude. It will compensate for changes in speed, sea conditions, change in load positions, and movement around the boat.

BTW Harry, the Bennett auto tab control is compatible with your insta trim boat levelers.

Thanks guys for the input.

I was looking at the transom today, and notice it has a slight roundness to it. In other words its not perfectly flat where the tabs mount.

Did you guys shim it in some way????

Chris

Thanks

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Beckcl View Post
    I was looking at the transom today, and notice it has a slight roundness to it. In other words its not perfectly flat where the tabs mount.

Did you guys shim it in some way????

Chris
    Nope Just 3m 5200
    WV 08 DLV198 HONDA 115

+ Reply to Thread