2014 DLV 178 with Etec 90HP issues - help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 DLV 178 with Etec 90HP issues - help please

I saw several references to this topic but didn't find a thread on my specific set up so reaching out for help. I bought a 2014 carolina skiff 2014 dlv 178 with evinrude etec 90hp. Could not get it on plane with weight on it and brought to dealer. Since the plate was 2.5" ABOVE the hull, they recommended putting the 5" extension kit and set it at 1.5" below which I did. Not sure what to try next as it still won't get over 3200 rpm (8.5MPH) with 4 small people on it. With 1 person, I get 4500 rpm flat out. Not sure what to try next. Change prop? Lower/Raise motor? Seems underpowered but 90HP is the max allowed on it. Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

A 90hp should push your boat very well even with 4 adults on board. Usually the cav plate is even with the bottom of the hull, if your boat has a tunnel cut out then that would allow higher mounting.. If you can adjust engine height try that. If your engine is in good running condition and you still have low rpms then try a prop with less pitch..example if you currently have a 21 pitch prop try a 18 pitch prop.
    Last edited by Robertfishes; 05-09-2019, 07:52 AM.

Comment

I am not familiar with the 178DLV so maybe it is built differently than the "lower end" skiffs I have.. So maybe the following does not apply to your 178dlv...Another thing to consider...maybe you have water trapped between floor and hull. I had a 238v and currently have a 1980v, I installed 3 Carboard hull drains to both of these boats. The 238v never had any water in hull, the 22 year old 1980v had about 1 cup come out when I first drilled holes from transom forward 6 ft towards the bow. I pulled all screws penetrating the floor and used 3M 5200 to to seal when putting new screws back into the holes, center console, wiring track, 4 battery boxs, etc..
      Last edited by Robertfishes; 05-09-2019, 07:49 AM.

Comment

A good starting place might be a 4 blade SS prop with 17pitch,
        I did a quick search and found someone on this site with the same or similar boat and engine as yours, they said 17 pitch for their set up. My used 1980v boat came with a PowerTech 4 blade SS prop, it's either a 15 or 17 pitch? Jumps right up on plane and holds nicely in turns. The 238v with 115 Yamaha I had 3 years ago also had a 4 blade SS prop. I always had 3 blade props on my offshore boats

Comment

Carolina Skiff recommends that your engine cavitation plate measure 3/4" to 1" below the bottom of the hull. All weight should be distributed as evenly as possible for best performance

LOWER PITCH PROP ....
          YOU WILL GAIN 200 rpm'S FOR EACH INCH YOU GO DOWN ..

4 BLADE IS THE WAY TO GO YOU WILL LOSE 200-300 RPM'S BY CHANGING FROM A 3 BLADE ...
          GO Aluminium TILL YOU FIGURE IT OUT....

CHOOSE A 4 BLADE PROP THAT WILL TURN AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE TO YOUR WIDE OPEN THROTTLE MAX AS SET BY EVINRUDE ....
          Last edited by CFISHN; 05-10-2019, 06:24 PM.
          WV 08 DLV198 HONDA 115
          sigpicOBX 99 C-HAWK 13 YAMAHA 150

Comment

I had no Idea CS recommends That the Anti Ventilation/Cavitation plate be below bottom of hull. I have had 3 other non CS boats we always put cav plate even with keel or bottom of boat. I have only bought used Carolina Skiffs that were already set up. The 238V I had came with a electric Jack Plate that set engine back about 6 inches allowing the cav plate to be higher. When I get my trim and tilt unit back from Five Star Marine I'll have to see if the cav plate is below keel level on the 198V. I had to remove one side of the Honda bracket to get T&T off.

Comment

Did you solve the problem PeterWinni.

jumpy
              15'8 Kenner. 178DLV
              Yam F70 Yam 90 VMAX

Comment

Did you consider that the eTec could be running on less than all cylinders. Sounds like at least one is not producing.
                15'8 Kenner. 178DLV
                Yam F70 Yam 90 VMAX

Comment

Changed the prop and everything changed immediately. Lost 5 mph on the top end but it comes out of the hole like a rocket now. thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X