Savannah area questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savannah area questions.

Gents I’m looking for a bit more than a fishing update. My son his wife and 2 grandsons live just outside of Savannah. My wife and I have been kicking around the idea of buying a place in that area that we can use to visit the family and escape from winter too. If it also happened to be in an area that had some great fishing opportunities I would be that much happier. I’d like to be within an hour or so of Savannah so South Carolina and Georgia costal areas are what I’m considering.

Any input on areas to consider or avoid would be appreciated, I’d like to keep away from the real busy spots like Hilton Head , it’s nice there but way too busy for my tastes. I’d like a nice place a little off the beaten path but not so far that I cant easily get back to Savannah to see my family.

Thanks in advance!
    Tom Lynch Laconia NH.
    2012 19 Ultra Elite

My wife and I really enjoy Beaufort, SC. Great history and a lot slower pace than Hilton Head.

Comment

Do you live there full time or are you more of a vacation visitor? I’d love to hear from some one who lives there full time.
      Tom Lynch Laconia NH.
      2012 19 Ultra Elite

Comment

I live in Macon, GA which is 3 hours west of Savannah.

Comment

Home prices in Savannah are reasonable away from the water. The closer you get to the coast prices go up exponentially.
          2012 198 DLV - Yamaha F115 - MK Terrova 60”/80#

Comment

My son and his family are in Rincon Ga. what we are contemplating is buying a property that we can use during the winter to escape the cold weather but also be able to rent when we are not using it to help defray the cost of ownership. I’m not familiar enough with the area to know if this is even possible or which area would be the best. Is there a tax advantage that puts South Carolina or Georgia in a more favorable position? Beaufort looks great, I’m sure there are other similar areas, are there any in Georgia?
            Tom Lynch Laconia NH.
            2012 19 Ultra Elite

Comment

Have owned property in SC and GA. Did not notice a huge difference in property tax rates. axes in resort areas (Hilton Head, Tybee Island, etc.) are higher because of higher home values. As far as rental when you are not there that sort of implies month-to-month rental which can be a pain to deal with. Most renters and property management companies prefer 1 year leases. What you're talking about may be doable but certainly more difficult normal lease arrangements.
              Last edited by releehweoj; 04-27-2018, 01:33 PM.
              2012 198 DLV - Yamaha F115 - MK Terrova 60”/80#

Comment

Im actually in the Rincon area. Right now Pooler is growing like crazy and would probably be an easy rent with so many Ga. Southern students commuting to the Savannah campus (armstrong) I lived in savannah for a while and if i had to again I would look at whitemarsh and wilmington islands. There are several ramps around there and they are desirable areas between downtown and the beach. Having said that im happy where im at. 40 min to the water, but i dont have to live in the traffic or hustle and bustle (even though its mild compared to a big city)

Just re-read, if your looking for short term vacation rental stuff i think that is mostly on tybee, I havent really seen too much "week" long rental type things off of tybee but im sure they are around. I do have a realtor friend on tybee if you need anything, not trying to set you up, just a laid back friend that would be a no pressure conversation for info if you need/want it

There is some great fishing all around here, I grew up fishing close to brunswick, and have at some point fished the entire GA coast. I will say savannah can be a difficult place to fish at times but there are a lot of opportunities, just takes a little dialing in to some patterns/trends.

Comment

we've been to Tybee with my son and grand kids. They lived in Pooler for a while ( Garrett works for Gulf Stream ) before they bought their home in Rincon. I have to say that i'd prefer to be closer to the water, i could be happy if that happened to be fresh water; the real impetus is to get to spend more time with my son and the grand sons and being able to get out on the boat easily would be really nice.

Ill look at white marsh and wilmington and see what i can find out about those areas online. How far of a drive is Brunswick from Rincon? we used to run into Brunswick fairly often when i worked on automobile carriers and it seemed reasonably nice. Its tough to really gauge a port in a couple hours ashore so anything you could share about Brunswick would be great.
                  Tom Lynch Laconia NH.
                  2012 19 Ultra Elite

Comment

another great area just south would be Richmond Hill, really growing but has that hometown feel and water access to a couple sounds. Just south of there would be Midway, then Darien, then brunswick. Brunswick is 77 miles down 95 from pooler, about an hour and a half. Richmond hill maybe 20 min by interstate from rincon. There is a great little area called shellmans bluff, good water access and kind of out of the way. Very relaxing and peaceful.

My favorite area around brunswick was called harietts bluff. Affordable water front with tons of great fishing. That was where i grew up in the summers, where i learned to fish and drive a boat. Im actually looking in that area again to find a little weekend getaway.

Brunswick has its good areas, and has water access from several points.

Comment

Working...
                    X