Crab Grabber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crab Grabber

Does anyone use a crab grabber to catch crab?
    I made one that works great. We use it while we are flounder gigging. They see it as a challenge and want to battle, and wham they are grabbed.
    1993 Carolina Skiff 1980 v-series 1993 Evinrude 120 HP new to me *flag*

What is it???
    DLV 198 chassed by Yamaha 115
    GatorTrax 1944 GTRXD 37 EFI

Comment

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Comment

I Knew That Was Coming

These are some quick ones I made with my cell phone.
        I made the main part with a snake grabber. The prongs are stainless steel.
        I cut the grabber part off thru the thickest part and drilled a hole and tapped it. It works like a champ

Last edited by alligator; 06-30-2016, 09:51 PM.

Comment

The discovery

We discovered the crabs reaction to the prongs while gigging flounder. It is illegal to gig crab, but we put our gigs down close to the crab and to our surprise they attacked or took a threatening posture. They didn't flee even when we touched them. They would even grab the gig. So, we figured if we had a top set of prongs to close on the crab, viola, a crab for the pot. We usually get 20 to 40 in 6 hours of floundering.

This is what it is made from.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/60-Pro-SNAKE...IAAOSwNSxU5GZX
          Last edited by alligator; 06-30-2016, 10:30 PM.

Comment

You use these for blue crabs? Really cool idea. I think they would work great to pick doublers off pilings or softshells in the shallows.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardshell Tony View Post
              You use these for blue crabs? Really cool idea. I think they would work great to pick doublers off pilings or softshells in the shallows.
              Yeah, they tend to want to engage in combat with the grabber rather than run.

Comment

Working...
              X