Help for a newbie crabber in Md

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help for a newbie crabber in Md

My son lives in Severn md....any crabbing info or help for him would be greatly appreciated.....
    Willie, Lets go fishing......
    http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...100_1592-1.jpgJust got 10 in Tan Hats .....Get them now for Spring.. EMAIL ME me for more info........

Crabbing Link

I hope the link below will help.

http://www.bluecrab.info/index.html

Comment

Here is another good read for Trotlining.

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/show...ng-and-Cooking

Comment

Crabbing on the bay is a blast!

I would buy 10 traps and chicken necks. Find a confluence where a small creek enters a major river of the bay. Set your traps in 6' to 8' of water in a straight line about 100 yds between each trap. Once the traps are set, check them by idling down the line of traps. Usually get dinner in about two hours. Be aware of the harvest rules.
        2012 J-16 skiff, 20 hp / 1992 1655 skiff, 40 hp

Comment

I live across the bay on Kent Island. Great crabbing on this side in the tributaries of Eastern bay. It’s Just as good on your side of the bay in the Severn or the West/South river complex. I run crabbing charters in those rivers during the summer. I use 1200 ft. trotline baited every six feet with chicken necks ( you can buy 40lb box of necks for around $25) If your just getting into crabbing use a doz. traps as suggested and you’ll catch enough crabs to have fun and good eats ! You need to go pretty early because lots of people are doing the same. July on out to Oct, is prime time.
          2010 DLV 19.8
          90 HP Suzuki 4 Stroke

Comment

Crab Charter

Originally posted by Naturallight View Post
            I live across the bay on Kent Island. Great crabbing on this side in the tributaries of Eastern bay. It’s Just as good on your side of the bay in the Severn or the West/South river complex. I run crabbing charters in those rivers during the summer. I use 1200 ft. trotline baited every six feet with chicken necks ( you can buy 40lb box of necks for around $25) If your just getting into crabbing use a doz. traps as suggested and you’ll catch enough crabs to have fun and good eats ! You need to go pretty early because lots of people are doing the same. July on out to Oct, is prime time.
            Naturallight, how can I get more information about your crab charters?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by dixoncity View Post
              Naturallight, how can I get more information about your crab charters?

Jim
              Might get a quicker response by clicking on his user name and then @send e-mail
              sigpic
              Former 2002 Regulator 21 Classic
              Former 2008 238 DLV, 140 Suzuki

Current 2001 CS Classic Series 16' w/ 30 Hp Evinrude
              Current 2002 Grady White escape 21 w/200 HPDI Yamaha

Comment

Md is no good for crabbing....PA has way better spots...lol...

Comment

Traps are the way to go. I primarily roll solo and pulling traps is much easier than running a trot line for a day of crabbing. But they can get bulky depending on how many you use and type. I love the open top traps so I can stack them. I can't wait for spring and threads like this aren't helping. :-)
                  2014 - 218DLV, Suzuki DF140, MK ST80

Comment

Originally posted by bowfisher View Post
                    Md is no good for crabbing....PA has way better spots...lol...
                    From what I remember in my geography classes your lines must be really long to crab in PA. The only shoreline I know of is a short stretch along Lake Erie and a couple polluted rivers. That hardly compares to the 11,684 miles of shoreline of the Chesapeake and its tidal tributaries—more than the entire U.S. west coast

Comment

Originally posted by oldsnow View Post
                      I hope the link below will help.

http://www.bluecrab.info/index.html
                      Ditto! Site is dedicated to the Blue Crab.

Comment

when will the crabs reach rock hall md
                        2010 218 DLV
                        150 yamaha v max

Comment

I hope they are already there waiting for April 1st to get here. WOW - I just looked out the window and it is snowing. How am I supposed to get my new JVX 18 SC rigged and ready for crabbing?

Comment

Originally posted by matthiasthewarrior View Post
                            when will the crabs reach rock hall md
                            I would think sometime in July,of course water temps and salinity are the major factors. Good luck. Go south if you want May crabbing.

Comment

Working...
                            X